COPPA Compliance Member Experience
If your Enterprise site is configured to use a COPPA Compliancy type profile field for the birthdate/DOB field the member experience will vary based on the value they enter in the birthdate/DOB field when they fill out and submit the join page as a new member. The examples below show the member who is over 13 (Scenario 1) and a member who is under 13 (Scenario 2) will experience when subscribing.
NOTE: Screen shots provide examples only. Specific fields, creative, and member facing messages are fully customizable in Site Settings.
Scenario 1: The new member fills out and submits the join page and includes a birthdate indicating they are over the age of 13.
- The new member completes the join page including a birthdate/DOB field which they fill out to indicate that they are over 13:
- When the member submits the join page, they pass the COPPA validation and see a Thank you message:
- They will also receive a Welcome email, sent either real-time or as a triggered mailing that night, as a thank you for joining, depending on the site-specific settings.
Scenario 2: The new member fills out and submits the join page and includes a birthdate indicating they are under the age of 13.
- The new member completes the join page including a birthdate/DOB field which they fill out to indicate that they are under 13:
- When this member submits the join page, the do not pass the COPPA validation, so rather than being taken to the welcome page, they are taken to a page asking for their parent’s email address:
- If the user sees this email request page and then hits the browser’s back button in an attempt to “trick” the system and not enter a parent’s email address, they will be able to get back to their new member join page but even if they modify their birthdate to appear to be older than 13, they will still be asked for a parent’s email address even if they change their email address on the form before hitting submit. There is, however, nothing to prevent a child from using a different browser to avoid this step.
- The child must enter a parent’s email address (they are prohibited from entering the same email address they used to join the eclub) and hit submit. They then see the Thank you message:
- The under-13 member will then be added as a subscribed member of the list but marked as suppressed in Enterprise, which means no emails can be sent to this under 13 member.
- The parent will be sent a real-time email, the Request Approval email, with the content of the email defined in the COPPA settings in Enterprise. As an example:
- The parent can review the profile information submitted by their under-13 child, delete the child’s records entirely, or approve their child joining the eclub, all from this Request Approval email.
- If the parent wants to delete the record, it is deleted from all Fishbowl databases. If they wish to approve their child’s email subscription, their approval modifies their child’s record in Enterprise as no longer being suppressed and the child will then be sent the Welcome message based on the site setting rules (immediately, one day later, etc.)