Previewing a Mailing
The preview window displays a specific version (HTML, Text, or Online) of your mailing the way it might appear to your recipients. By default, however, mail merge fields, predefined links, and dynamic content sections appear in their "unresolved" form, as shown in this example:
At the top of the screen is a box (not visible to your recipients) titled "Resolve Merge Codes". Four resolve options are available:
- "Don't resolve" causes Enterprise to display the content and mail merge fields, predefined links, and dynamic content sections in their "unresolved" form.
- "Resolve Global Content Variables" (only available when the content being previewed contains one or more Global Content Variables) causes Enterprise to display the content with only the Global Content Variables resolved.
- "Resolve as anonymous user" (available for the Online Version preview only) causes Enterprise to display the content and mail merge fields and predefined links in their "resolved" form for an anonymous user.
- "Resolve for me" causes Enterprise to resolve the merge codes (e.g., turn "##FirstName##" into "Jessica") for the administrator who is previewing the mailing. This functionality, however, requires that the e-mail address associated with your administrative account (as specified on the Administrators screen) match the e-mail address of a an existing Member. For example, if you're logged in to Enterprise as "jdoe", and the e-mail address for your administrative account is "email@example.com", then a Member with e-mail address "firstname.lastname@example.org" must also exist in order for Enterprise to be able to resolve the merge codes.
- "Resolve for tester" causes Enterprise to resolve the merge codes (e.g., turn "##FirstName##" into "Jessica") for a specific tester. The dropdown next to the option contains the email address of every tester set up in the site.
- "Resolve for member" causes Enterprise to resolve the merge codes (e.g., turn "##FirstName##" into "Jessica") for a specific member. The email address of the specific member you wish to resolve merge codes for needs to be entered into the input field for this option.
Once the resolve option has been selected, click "Submit" to preview what that specific member will see. When Enterprise resolves merge codes, it uses the profile field data associated with a Member record.
By default, Enterprise will not track hyperlinks in mailing previews. In order to view a HTML or Text version preview with the hyperlinks tracked as they will be in mailings tested and sent to Testers and Members, check "Track Links" and then click Submit. Please note that the tracked links are viewable only in the page source or the properties of the specific hyperlinks if previewing the HTML version of a mailing preview, but will be viewable directly in the Text version of a mailing preview. The Online Version preview will never contain tracked links, so this option will not be available when previewing the Online Version of a mailing.
The example below shows a preview of the same mailing as above but with merge codes resolved for a tester.
Optionally you can override the profile values of the member you are resolving the preview for. You may wish to view your preview with a different store code or with a longer first name, to see how text will wrap for longer first names. For example, if you want to see what the HTML preview for a member named Samantha is, on the Override Profile Fields tab you would enter Samantha in the FirstName field, then return to the Preview and then hit Submit to refresh your preview with the selected profile field overridden. Overriding Profile Fields does not change the member's profile field values in the data base.