A Site Administrator or an ##API User## can access the Fishbowl Enterprise API using a Client ID, Client Secret, and Access Token. The following steps will show you how to create an API User, generate the Client ID & Client Secret, and how to retrieve an Access Token.
Creating an API User
To create an API User you will first need to log into Enterprise as a Site Administrator; then navigate to the Administrators page found under Settings.
Then click Add New Administrator at the top of the page.
FIll out the Username, Password, and Email Address fields with the desired credentials. Then check the box located under API User and click Save.
Note: If you are the Site Administrator for multiple Enterprise Sites you will need to use the Add Site Dropdown to select the site(s) the user will to access need access to and then check the API User box for each.
Client ID And Client Secret Fishbowl will provide you with a Client ID and a Client Secret. The Client ID is considered public information, and is used to build login URLs. The Client Secret must be kept confidential.
Generating the Client ID & Client Secret
To generate the Client ID & Client Secret you will first need to log into Enterprise as a Site Administrator; then navigate to the Administrators page found under Settings.
On the Administrators page find the user you intend to generate the Client ID & Client Secret for, and click the Paddlock Icon next to their user name to access Security Settings.
Now click the Register New Application button to generate the Client ID & Client Secret.
You now have the Client ID & Secret needed to retrieve your access token.
Retrieve Access Token
If you're a Site Administrator for one or more sites, follow these steps to be up-and-running with the Fishbowl Enterprise API in just minutes:
- From the Manage Administrators screen, click the pencil icon to edit your own Administrator record. Then check the "API User" checkbox and click the "Save" button.
- In a web browser, paste this URL into the address bar and hit Enter: https://services.fishbowl.com/api/odata/v1/Sites
- The browser will prompt you to enter your username and password. Use your Fishbowl administrator credentials (the same one you use to log in to Fishbowl Enterprise).
- Depending on the web browser you're using, you might receive a prompt asking you if you'd like to open or save a file, in which case you should choose "Open":
- ...or the browser might display the raw data in JSON format:
- "SiteID":"4294967274","Name":"Main Street Grill","SiteGUID":"8d1405c0-e704-4171-a285-::da591896b0c6","WebDomainName":"mainstreetgrill.fbmta.com","MailDomainName":"mainstreetgrill.fbmta.com"
- "SiteID":"4294967289","Name":"Main Street Grill - Corporate","SiteGUID":"7c4bc04f-6dd2-4f4a-83f8-::bb298dd6ef32","WebDomainName":"mainstreetgrillcorp.fbmta.com","MailDomainName":"mainstreetgrill.fbmta.com"
That's it: you've made a successful API request to retrieve a list of Sites for which you're authorized as an API User.